Monday, June 26, 2006

The Shipping News (2001)

Synopsis: Widower settles in the city of his ancestors, where he starts a new life. 

Appraisal: Ew. This review could stop right here, with that expressive little word. But why deny myself the pleasure of dwelling on the multiple aspects of this film's badness? This is one of those films that give themselves away right from the first frames, and you shudder with the prospect of spending the next two hours being submitted to a massacre of clichés and nonsense. In my case, I must confess that I struggled as hard as I could to like it, up until I found out that there was a psychic kid in it. I knew then that I must abandon all my hopes. Among the annoying things in this film I mention: (1) several characters that lie about their pasts just to add mystery to the film; (2) a character that borders on idiocy and for no apparent reason develops his intelligence as the film proceeds; (3) curses (that of course are defeated by the end of the movie); (4) a love affair that very artificially starts on the wrong foot, very artificially doesn't get started, and at last very artificially blooms; etc. All of that (and more) sum up to the basic fact that there is just no emotional credibility to the film; it is practically an anthology of fakeness. Although there are good actors in it, my impression is that some of the performances made the film even more ridiculous; perhaps because the actors seemed to take their preposterous lines and situations so seriously (which they were paid to do of course). 

Rating: 33

No comments: