Monday, June 26, 2006

I Am Sam (2001)

Synopsis: Mentally handicapped man fights for the custody of his daughter. 

Appraisal: This is a formula film, and what is commonly referred to as a tear-jerker. I object a priori to films of this kind. That said, there are some specific remarks to be made about this film. First, I must admit that there are some scenes that are good. Not many, but some. For example, the scene where Sam won't stop reading Dr. Seuss, and thus won't let Lucy sleep, is one of them. I also must admit that the lead performance is very impressive. Among the bad things is the obviously manipulative script, which of course is an intrinsic characteristic of tear-jerkers. And some things that clearly didn't work for me. For example, I don't get what the pop band trivia was all about. No, don't try to explain. 

Rating: 47

No comments: