Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Prêt-à-Porter (1994)

Alternative American Title: Ready to Wear.
Synopsis: On the eve of a great fashion show, its organizer dies in mysterious circumstances.
Appraisal: This is a big kaleidoscope of people, showing the inners of the fashion industry. It's narrated in the form of parallel, more or less interrelated, alternating stories. I have seen it for the second time now; my first viewing was a long time ago, and I didn't enjoy it then. My feelings are far from negative now: it's an elegant movie, and not because of all the fancy clothes in it, of course; its elegance lies in the able juxtaposition of the stories, and in the masterful staging of the sequences. The film on the whole is quite funny, perhaps not laugh out loud funny, but certainly amusing enough. The cast was rather uniformly fine, as far as I remember, but I think a special mention should go to the actress who played Kitty the TV reporter.
Rating: 56

No comments: