Monday, April 28, 2008

Rancho Deluxe (1975)

Synopsis: Two rustlers (that's the term they use for cattle thieves) plan a big cattle theft with some inside help.

Appraisal: Quite entertaining, but there are several things I didn't like, particularly on the first third or so of the movie. The characters speak in an excessively witty or literary style, which I found a little phony at times. Also, there isn't much concern for focus or pace, and I found that interlude a little after the beginning -- when the two protagonists visit their respective families -- to be quite unnecessary and disruptive. As I said, this doesn't prevent the film from being entertaining and, at its best, genuinely witty and even ingenious. As a final note, I found it a little weird that the film simply doesn't show the actual kidnapping of the $50,000 bull; was I sleeping or was it really omitted?

Rating: 51

No comments: