Thursday, August 31, 2006

Yadon ilaheyya (2002)

English Title: Divine Intervention
Synopsis: The first part of the movie describes a series of incidents in a neighborhood of arabs in the city of Nazareth. The second part is mostly about the relationship between a man and a woman that live in different cities separated by a checkpoint; he lives in Jerusalem and she lives in Ramallah.
Appraisal: Some sketches are funny and I think the film is worth seeing because of them. But be warned: the pace is very slow; some details of the story are very hard to follow due to excessively distanced shots and lack of dialogue (some things, like the income tax subplot, I did not understand until I read many user comments at IMDb). I don't know how much politics was thrown into the film, because I am no Middle East expert, but it seems that the basic theme of the film is how living in Israel affects the behavior and the mood of the Palestinians.
Rating: 52

No comments: