Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Imaginary Heroes (2004)

I won't provide a synopsis for this film, as the order in which the facts occur are an important part of the film, and knowing any of them in advance would distort the viewing experience. I think it won't hurt to know that it is about a suburban family, and mostly about their youngest son who is in high school.
Appraisal: I liked this film; the level of bullshit, if any, remained way below my personal threshold of detection. While I can't in all honesty say that I wasn't one bit bored during the entirety of the movie, those intervals of boredom were small and scattered among interesting parts. Also, the dialogue did manage a certain level of spontaneity both at the dramatic bits and at the humorous ones. I particularly liked the Christmas party sequence. So, despite a certain wearing out of the suburban-dysfunctional-family genre that is beginning to be perceived, this film still qualifies as a valuable entry. I must say I find its title lame though.
Rating: 66

No comments: