Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pardon My Sarong (1942)

Synopsis: Two bus drivers hijack a bus by request of a playboy who must get to a competition cruise. There they fall into a lake, are rescued by a boat, and eventually get to an island inhabited by some natives and a jewel robber and his gang.
Appraisal: Unpolished and unpretentious but entertaining, this comedy works through a relentless succession of gags, some of them verbal and some visual. Some of the gags are funnier than others, but I found myself laughing a lot during the film, an event that hasn't happened for me in, well, longer than I can remember. The film has several musical numbers: the first two, by a band of singers and tap dancers, are excellent, and the other two, set on the island and in the 'exotic' style, are not so good but make for curious entertainment.
Rating: 52

No comments: