Tuesday, August 22, 2006

El amor brujo (1986)

Synopsis: A boy and a girl are fixed to marry each other by their fathers, but a second boy is in love with the girl.
Appraisal: This is a musical that tells a story in the fantastic genre through the combination of dance numbers with individual dancers, collective musical numbers, and also acted sequences. No natural sets are used, only studio ones. The choreography is stylistically simple, with no room for virtuosism. All this results in an elegant film, that relies on visual elements more often than on dialogue. Its four leading performers are good dancers; no acting was really required here, but in regard to expressiveness and charisma, my favorite of the four was the one playing 'Lucía'. As an embarassing final note, I must confess that I had already seen this film some 20 years ago, and violently dismissed it then. I have only my youth and inner restlessness at that time as an excuse for that error.
Rating: 53

No comments: