Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Firm (1988) (TV)

Synopsis: It describes the war between hooligans in England. For those who do not know them, hooligans are sports 'fans' that get their kicks from forming gangs and beating the shit out of their rivals.
Appraisal: 'The Firm' is one of those films that I watch in unblinking awe and immediately after it is over makes me want to cry out loud (which of course I cannot normally bring myself to). Its revolting subject and notorious parallels with real events are liable to get a specially brooding person to fall into a heavy depression. Its short duration (about 1h07min) makes its punch all the more aching. It has vigorous mise-en-scene and lively dialogue. Its leading performer turns the odious, psychopathic 'Bex' into one of the most memorable characters in the history of film. And the entire cast is good. Never falling into easy sociological or psychological bullshit, it does nevertheless illuminate the mechanics of violence, and thus may help us understand larger issues like War, Nationalism, and the likes.
It goes into my Favorites list for 1988, in the 7th position.
Rating: 90

2 comments:

Brian Connor said...

Hey there, my name is Brian.

I am a media (Film and Television production) student and blogger and I stumbled across your blog. Do you mind if I post a link to it in my community section of my blog?

http://bconnor.blogspot.com if you want to check it out before you decide.

Marcelo Gilli said...

Sure, Brian. See also my post on your blog.
Regards,
Marcelo