Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Muito Prazer (1979)

Probable English Title: It's Nice to Meet You 
Synopsis: Three friends, very different in nature, are partners in an architecture company. One is an alcoholic, another is a workaholic, and the third one is an enigma. 
Appraisal: While it has enjoyed a warm reception in its own country in the time of its theatrical release, this gem of a movie is largely forgotten today, and is virtually unknown abroad, the only exception that I know of being Dan Sallitt. What I like most about the film is that the development of the story proceeds in such a manner as to reveal each character's personality. Also, I think the social and cultural specificities of Rio are captured beautifully. The acting is almost uniformly excellent, and it is hard for me to pinpoint one performance in particular. Even the kids act terrifically. The only exception is the actor playing the guy that Nádia meets at the party and is attracted to. He has a very little part but his performance is conspicuously awful. The camerawork and cinematography are, at least at my level of attention to such aspects, perfect. I have placed this film among my favorites, occupying the 14th position in the year 1979. 
Rating: 70

No comments: