Friday, October 06, 2006

"Rome" (2005) [TV-series] (Season 1)

Synopsis: It merges historical events at the time of Julius Caesar with fictional ones centering on two soldiers.
Appraisal: They did a really good job in this historical series, and I must say that most episodes had me by the balls. I will be specific about what episodes (of the set of 12) I did not like: episode 8 was bad, and it is by now a widespread notion that its depiction of Cleopatra was ridiculous, even insulting; episodes 7 and 9 were not bad, but were perhaps not on par with the others. All the other episodes were very good. The characters were strong, and the actors were all good, and very well cast. The fictional parts dealing with Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo were very engaging, even moving at times, and, I guess, very insightful into the various aspects of everyday life in Rome in those days. The historical sequences were equally engaging, and an excellent way of learning history; they may even provide some food for thought on present day politics. So far, this has been the best thing of 2005 I have seen (I have seen only 29 films/series of that year, so it's only a matter of time, I guess, until that situation changes). Definitely goes to my Favorites.
Rating: 75

No comments: