Thursday, April 13, 2006

Du rififi chez les hommes (1955)

Synopsis: A group of friends plan to rob a jewel store. 
Appraisal: There is not much to say about this classic that has not already been said. It is practically a unanimity. What I can say is that this film has perfection written in every single photogram. Except (here I am contradicting myself) that I do not like the actor playing 'Jo', and I do not completely accept one scene of the movie, let me just say it is an unjustified murder, so that I do not spoil it for those who have not watched it yet. But apart from that, it is a marvelous film: the lead performer is astoundingly good, the black and white cinematography is gorgeous, the editing is milimetrically precise, the music is fabulous, and of course all of those surround a thrilling story line that has become referential for heist films ever since. It is certainly one of my favorite movies, ranking, among those I have seen, as number 8 in its year. 
Rating: 78

No comments: