Sunday, April 23, 2006

Assunta Spina (1915)

Synopsis: Assunta is engaged to Michele, who is very jealous.
Appraisal: I was very surprised by this film. Having previously watched "La signora delle camelie" by the same makers, I was expecting more of the same. Well, I was wrong! Another possibility is that I was terribly mistaken about the other film and need to see it again. The fact is, I liked everything about this one: the story, the mise-en-scène, the acting, the natural sets, you name it.
The subjacent theme of this movie is the implicit moral superiority of women in contrast with their explicit social inferiority. This is a theme that still holds its strength in many parts of the globe and even if if it didn't the sheer aesthetic power of this film would still prevail, because Art is timeless and universal.

No comments: