Saturday, April 15, 2006

Being Julia (2004)

Synopsis: Middle-aged actress has an affair with a young accountant.
Appraisal: This is one of the worst films I have seen in a good while, and the only way I could lessen the torture that was watching it was, halfway through it, to play a game I call "find the thousand imbecilities". Every time I watch crap like this, I wonder just whether there is someone responsible for it who is secretly having fun at the poor souls that will watch it. The funny thing is, I remember liking the earlier, German, version. Well, I have to see it again. On second thought, better forget it, because a second dose of this might be fatal. Not having found a single redeeming quality in this film (maybe the set design?), I leave without making specific comments, but not without my usual warning: give yourself a break and skip this film.
Rating: 18
P.S.: This review is forever going to shame me; I viewed this film again on June 1, 2008, and quite liked it; the new review is posted on that date; the film's rating was upgraded to 57.

No comments: