Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Lenin v oktyabre (1937)

English title: Lenin in October

Lenin's life in the days preceding the October 1917 revolution in Russia. He is hunted by the authorities, who even order a hit on him. The taking of St. Petersburg by the Bolsheviks is the climax of the film.

Well-made blend of intimate portrait and historical epic. Although it is somewhat depressing to watch this kind of story while knowing how the Soviet regime turned out to be and how it ended, it is not hard to concentrate on the adventurous side of the Revolution and get entertained by it. There are three versions of this film and I have no idea which one I watched. There is one mention of Stalin that I can recall and I have not spotted him on the screen, but then I was busy reading the subtitles, so I may have missed him.

Rating: 52

No comments: