Friday, May 10, 2013

Never a Dull Moment (1950)

A successful Broadway composer marries a cow rancher with two kids from his late first wife. She faces difficulties adapting to the life of a housewife, and a rural one to boot.

I read this was elected at its time as the dullest movie of the year, and, although it is certainly not true, I can see why an organization made up -- exclusively, I guess -- of urban people would make such a pick. The film did not appear realistic to me, but afterwards I read it is based on a semi-autobiographical novel, so I think I too must be a little prejudiced. Modern audiences would possibly frown at the sight of what they would see as the self-effacement of a talented woman.
All that being said, the film is watchable, although it does fall short of being credible in its premise, and is a little too trivial in its development, not to mention too abrupt in its ending.
Saw a dubbed copy, a detail which usually affects my assessment negatively, but I do not think it did in this case.

Rating: 36

No comments: