Saturday, May 25, 2013

Manhattan (1979)

Second viewing; first was between 1983 and 1986.

Isaac is a middle-aged divorced writer who is in a relationship with Tracy, a 17-year-old high-schooler. Isaac's latest ex-wife left him for another woman. Isaac's best friend is Yale, a married man who is having an affair with Mary, a divorced writer. Isaac is trying to break up with Tracy because he thinks she is too young. Mary in turn is not going anywhere in her relationship with Yale.

I think my understanding of this movie became a little less muddled upon this second viewing. It seems to be developing a thesis which could be stated more or less like -- one should guide one's actions by one's own feelings, not by assumptions about what is better for others, or by what most people think is right; most of all, one should not be opportunistic in human relationships. In the present case, Isaac should not break up with Tracy because of general ideas about age difference improprieties, or implying less age equals less maturity, etc.; furthermore, he should not be in a relationship with a woman who is clearly incompatible with him (namely, Mary), just because the 'opportunity' appears, both are without a partner, and so on.
I am not sure this has anything to do with Manhattan, but then again what do I know about that city? There is a lot of sarcastic cultural references, mainly dealing with feminism and modern art; I think they are somehow meant to represent the city or some slice of it; I do not know how well they do that, but as for the University circuit, they certainly click with some things I read in recent years; and they are funny too.
I couldn't bring myself to give this movie a high rating; the strangeness of its situations and characters still pose something of an obstacle to my enjoyment. Maybe a third (improbable) viewing would bring the matter to a closure.

Rating: 50 (up from 37)

No comments: