Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Paradise Now (2005)

Synopsis: Two Palestinian friends are summoned by a clandestine group of anti-Israel action to be suicide bombers.

Appraisal (SPOILERS): I would gladly file this film under "mediocre yet with a hot and little explored theme" but unfortunately its incoherences make even this description a bit generous. There are major plot points which are questionable at best: (1) why didn't Said join his friends after the failed attack? (2) why did the two men concomitantly change their respective opinions and dispositions about the attack? I know that many interpretations have probably been issued about those questions, but, although I haven't read any, I don't think any of them would make this script sufficiently convincing let alone engaging for me.

Rating: 35

No comments: