Thursday, July 12, 2007

L'enfant (2005)

English title: The Child.

Synopsis (SPOILER): A street thief whose girlfriend has just had his baby sells it without her consent.

Appraisal: It is the second film I see by the Brothers, and I still can't understand what the fuss is all about. OK, they make films connected with reality, specifically Belgian reality. They are excellent directors of actors. Their stories are not hard to follow, and have their share of emotion. So far, so good. The camerawork in The Child is not as sickness-inducing as in The Son, which is another plus. So, it's about forgiveness. And it sheds some light at Belgium's social problems, which, for a Brazilian like me, seem rather minor. I don't know, it's just that I found it all so pedestrian. So, the protagonist made a big mistake. What is it supposed to tell us? That child trafficking is a social problem in Belgium? That there are lines to be drawn, even in a life of crimes? Or rather, that a life of crimes leads to the blurring of those lines? I just didn't find it all that interesting. One thing, though, did strike me as odd: it seems that in Belgium people prefer to chase thieves by themselves, and call the police only in extreme cases, or after the thief is caught.

Rating: 48

No comments: