Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Little Women (1933)

Based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott (first published in 1868-1869).

The film depicts the lives of four sisters during the American Civil War. They try to support their mother while their father is away fighting. Tomboyish Jo looks after a sour aunt and wants to be a writer; Meg, the eldest, looks after children; Beth loves music and is the saintly type; Amy loves to draw. They befriend a young neighbor who lives with his father.

This is the second time I watch a movie adaptation of this novel (which I didn't read), the previous one having been of the 1994 version. I couldn't say which version I prefer, because, although I liked the other version, I watched it so long ago (in 2000) that I don't know whether I would have the same opinion today. Basically, and I am thinking of this 1933 version, this is a story that could be thought of in dual terms: either as a war drama about self-sacrifice and social cohesion, or as the intimate drama of a sexual invert who has not many choices in a conservative environment. The film acquits itself reasonably well in both counts, but, to be frank, the narrative did not exactly turn me on. Visually, though, I found it quite pleasing, with interesting long shot compositions, some with very deep focus. A curious essay about the novel's authoress may be of interest to some:

"Little Women" author Louisa May Alcott was a transgender man - LGBTQ Nation

Rating: 51

No comments: