Friday, August 05, 2022

Atoll K (1950)

U.S. title upon its initial release: Utopia

Second viewing; first viewing of the restored version; the shorter version was viewed on November 24, 1990

 Stan inherits an island in the South Seas; he and Ollie sail there on a yacht which was part of the inheritance. They bring along a man whom no country would accept, and who works in the boat as a cook, and another man who stows away after failing to enter France. They are caught in a storm and end up at a newly emerged island (not sure it's an atoll though), where they decide to stay. Later, a woman who has broken up with her fiancé arrives on the island.

I hated this film on my first viewing; I was curious to check on the longer version, and see whether my initial appraisal would hold. It didn't, as a matter of fact: the film is not as bad as I had perceived it, though I would not call it good. As a political fable, it is very elementary. The gags are nothing new for anyone who has watched this duo's earlier movies. A few moments are funny, such as the distribution of roles in the inaugurated country. Overall, it does entertain painlessly.

Rating: 40 (up from 20)

No comments: