Thursday, May 01, 2014

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

Second viewing, sort of; my first viewing, on June 3, 1997, missed the beginning of the movie, if I recall it correctly.

In 1943, Hitler has the idea of kidnapping Churchill. His officers are initially pessimistic about the viability of such a project, but a favorable set of circumstances presents itself, and they decide to do it.

World War II has become a mythology, one which of course has everything to do with who won it, and I honestly cannot be sure I have ever seen anything which could be called a realistic depiction of it. This film appeared at a time when Nazis no longer had to be portrayed as supernatural devils. It is an entertaining fiction, with lots of action. It has some humor too, but that aspect didn't always work for me. I saw the shorter TV version, which leaves much to be desired in terms of plot comprehensibility and proper development.

Saw it in pan-and-scan.

Rating: 50 (I didn't rate it exactly the previous time I saw it, only gave it a coarser rating between 10 and 30).

No comments: