Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Rose Tattoo (1955)

Second viewing (first one: December 25, 1999).

An American Southern town. A woman idolizes her husband. He is a truck driver who does some illegal transportations on the side. She does a little sewing for extra money. They have a teenage daughter. They are of Italian extraction. A tragic incident will divert the course of their lives. (I am not sure it would be okay to disclose more information about the plot.)

A potentially interesting story, not very well developed. The presence of an italiana in the cast does not hide the fact that it relies mostly on stereotypes. I wonder why the Italians get this treatment in non-Italian fiction. I guess people like to write about foreign or minoritary ethnicities, but why is it almost always the Italians who get such heartwarming 'tributes'? And they never complain, that I know of (maybe that is wise of them). Anyway, I do not know what I liked about it the first time I saw it. It is not a worthless film, but some parts of it are a little annoying (and others are, perhaps unintentionally, hilarious).

Rating: 47 (down from 66)


No comments: