Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dracula (1931)

Second viewing.

Based on a play from the novel by Bram Stoker (novel's first ed.: 1897).

A Transylvanian count moves to England and starts preying on his neighboring ladies. He is actually an abnormal creature who feeds on blood and never ages, a condition which is contagious.

On my first viewing I was a little put off by the film's static scenes and the main actor's unnaturalistic performance. I think now that these characteristics should be respected as style, and that there is a good deal of artistry in the compositions and staging. As has been said elsewhere, the really scary part of the movie is the beginning. Nevertheless, there is a creepiness that is sustained throughout all of it. I am still not sure it is a great movie, but I like it much better than I did.

Rating: 60 (up from 50)

No comments: