Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

Two sisters who hadn't been in good terms with each other reunite for the wedding of one of them. Pauline is the one getting married and Margot is the other one. Margot, Pauline, Pauline's fiancé Malcolm, Margot's son Claude, Pauline's daughter Ingrid, Margot's lover Dick, Margot's husband Jim, Pauline's neighbors the Voglers, Dick's daughter (who is also Ingrid's nanny) Maisy, all take part in a complicated web of intrigue, hate, blooming sexuality, memories, etc.

I am not sure I understand exactly what is at stake here, or what the issues are with the main character. I am also not sure I buy the Dick-interviews-Margot scene -- I can't find a good explanation for Dick's behavior and didn't find Margot's response convincing. But the film is artfully written and directed, at a superficial level at least, and has some interesting bits at a not so superficial level too.

Rating: 61

No comments: