Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Pilgrim (1923)

This is a longer version (47 min) than the one I saw last (which had 39 min). I didn't notice any major difference between the two, so I guess who watches the smaller one won't be missing much. The differences I noticed are:

1) In the longer version the real parson is seen as he is sending the telegram warning the people in Dallas that he will not be coming on the previously scheduled day.

2) The scene at the station is edited differently; the train appears first than the people in one of the versions, and after them in the other.

3) The sequence where Charlie waves away his former cellmate is longer in the 47-minute-long version.

4) The sequence in the kitchen involving a paste roller is longer in the 47-minute-long version.

The Internet Movie Database says there is a 59-minute-long version; I don't know whether that would be a more complete version or this difference in length is due to different frame rates.

No comments: