Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Brothers Grimm (2005)

Synopsis: Two con-artists that simulate supernatural effects just so they can be hired to get rid of them are forced to deal with a true case of kidnapped children in 19th century French-occupied Germany.
Appraisal: This film is bad in so many ways that it becomes difficult to write a review about it. The most obvious problem (but not necessarily the biggest one) is the dialogue: I have never seen such badly written dialogue in my entire filmviewing life. Aside from that, the film is littered with small annoying details and events. Examples of that: a clay monster that takes a bite of himself and says 'Ooh I'm tasty'; the unrelenting apparition of roaches; the horrible French accent of one of the characters; and a very long etc. The result is a film that is unpleasant and silly almost all the time, and even some beautiful special effects and production design can do little to make it more palatable.
Rating: 10

P.S.: I saw this film again on 2008, October 18. Rereading the above review, I find it way too harsh. Although some of the faults that I point out are real, the film is not nearly as unwatchable as I seem to imply. It has its share of striking images, and, while I still maintain that it is mostly silly at its core, I didn't find it all that unpleasant. The rating has been increased to 35.

No comments: