Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Magdalene Sisters (2002)

Synopsis: Describes the life of slavery of some girls in a convent. 
Appraisal: This would be a great film even if it were not so damn important as a reflection piece. It makes me wonder, is the family system any good when parents can do this to their own children? But the greatness here is of art. Because the screenplay is so flawless, and because the characters are so finely crafted. And finally because the cast does a competent job, and here I would like to set aside two performances that, to my understanding, are among the best in all of movie history; I do not know the actresses's names, but the parts they play are the mother superior and the old woman that dies after spending her entire life in the convent. "The Magdalene Sisters" is one my favorites, being 11th in the list for 2002. 
Rating: 69

No comments: