Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Reivers (1969)

 Second viewing; first viewing with original audio; previously viewed on March 27, 1996

In 1905, an 11-year-old boy living in a small town accompanies two young men on a trip to a big city. They take the kid's grandfather's car without the latter's permission. Their first stop is at a whorehouse. Later on they take part in a horse race.

Agreeable coming-of-age story with nice cinematography and even nicer score. The acting is mostly good, and I wonder whether a good deal of the merit for that could be ascribed to able direction. I don't know exactly why I liked it a little less on my first viewing; possibly I found it bland. I can't deny that it is, but I guess not all films need to be shocking or polemical. Or maybe I was a little annoyed at what I perceived as a twisted moral message: instead of punishind a child for his wrongdoings, it's deemed better to let him live with the consequences. Well, that is tantamount to declaring family education useless. When that child grows up, the State will certainly adopt a sterner attitude should he move on to bigger infractions. I suppose that is the liberal way of thinking. There is some additional weirdness to part of the story, like the whore who continues in the profession so she can find a husband. Surely there must be a better way, but who am I to tell? Those minor annoyances aside, it made for a nice second viewing, especially because I previously watched it dubbed in Portuguese (and probably in pan-and-scan), and also because I remembered nothing of it.

Rating: 58 (up from 48)

No comments: