Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Good morning Babilonia (1987)

English title: Good Morning, Babylon.

Second viewing; previously viewed on May 14, 1996.

Two Italian brothers who work in old building restoration move to Hollywood where they find work on the set of Intolerance. After being initially rejected, they become part of the team that sculpted the sets for that film. In Hollywood, they also meet love, and tragedy.

I rewatched this because I was a little disconcerted with the abysmally low rating I gave it upon my first viewing. Well, I raised it a little. Just a little. What we have here is hollow sentimentality, absurd character behavior (e.g. the production director's animosity), and a missed opportunity for dramatizing in a minimally realistic way the lives of Hollywood workers of the silent period. On the good side, I found the theme of the equality between the two brothers, and the recurring threat of its disruption, an interesting one. But there are better films on that theme, for example Dead Ringers.

Rating: 20 (up from 10)



No comments: