Thursday, March 19, 2020

Incident at Vichy (2016)

(Episode of TV series Theater Close-Up)

Based on the play by Arthur Miller, written in 1964.

Several individuals are gathered in a room after having been detained by the Vichy police, in 1942. They talk about their situation, what to expect and what to do.

This is just a filmed play. The text is an intelligent discussion about the persecution of Jews by the German State in the 20th century. I could comment on every aspect of that discussion, but it would be too extended and boring; furthermore the play is for the most part self-explanatory, so I don't think my considerations would be very enlightening. I will just note that the play was written before many of the atrocities committed by the State of Israel happened or became known, and those atrocities shed an interesting light over some lines said by the psychoanalyst character. As a final note, I was shocked to learn of the participation of an actor whom I knew mostly from a famous 1970s show. I didn't recognize him at all in the role of a middle aged aristocrat!

Rating: 65

No comments: