Saturday, September 26, 2015

Viridiana (1961)

Second viewing; first viewed on March 24, 1990.

Loosely based on the novel Halma, by Benito Pérez Galdós, first published in 1895.

Viridiana, a nun, takes a few days off to visit her uncle, a landowner.

This film had a deep impact on me when I first saw it. Now seeing it for the second time, it still impresses me positively for its refined sense of humor and its uncondescending view of social issues. In a way, it is a perfect movie. It is especially topical in these days of Angela Merkel and barbarian invasions (the German Chancellor should be made to see Viridiana in the Clockwork Orange way). All that being said, I am a different person now, and I do not need to be educated on things I already know. That is why these days I prefer films which either teach something I do not already know (if that is possible) or are utterly devoid of a message (supposing there can be one).

Rating: 87 (down from 100)

No comments: