Thursday, September 24, 2015

Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Possibly not my first viewing; many of the scenes were familiar to me, but I may have read a comic book version, so I really don't know. Anyway, if I saw it before, it was before 1983.

Based on the books Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) and Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There (1871), by Lewis Carroll (b. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson).

A dreamy little girl, while being read to by her older sister, sees a white rabbit and follows it to and through an oneiric realm, full of quirky characters.

This refined work of art lovingly blends a very British character with a more flamboyant American spirit. I forward you to a fine review written by Christopher Mulrooney on the Walt Disney entry of his filmmaker encyclopedia.

Rating: 74

No comments: