Saturday, April 12, 2014

28 Up (1984)

Upwards goes the On series, sorry, onwards goes the Up series, this time with the subjects at 28. This seems to be a sort of summit in the progression, though of course I may realize I am wrong when I watch the next installments. Anyway it is certainly an important point, a key point perhaps. Already there are two defections, which I regret. The filmmaker/interviewer comes out (I am not sure whether this is in stock footage from the previous installment, or in new one) as to the purpose of the series (among others, I suppose) being the study of social mobility, or, rather, the lack thereof. As I have been saying, he has the same (irritating) effect on me as most leftist types do, so, based on that, I have to assume he is a leftist. And it is leftists who are generally trying to prove there is little mobility and the government should boost it. But what if there is no way of boosting it? I have recently come across an article which reviews a book which seems to be saying precisely that. And I think this film (and the whole series) are precious evidence to that, if you analyze it carefully. You may argue that this isn't a statistically relevant sample, but then neither is it for the opposing, leftist view. I do think, at any rate, that this is an exceptionally interesting film in a, so far, exceptionally interesting series, and I can't wait to see the next one. Before I do, let me just point out that, when Neil speaks of an "impersonal society" referring to, if I recall correctly, the London suburbs, his definition fits our present-day society pretty much in its entirety with a vengeance, and the question should be, who is responsible for that? Who profits from that?

This film is number ten in critic Dale Thomajan's picks for 1985. This is probably what drew me in the first place towards this series, as, based on the films I have watched amongst his choices, he seems to be very reliable (he also has written a few books, amongst them an interesting compilation of film quotations called Great Movie Lines). His top ten lists can be read here.

No comments: