Sunday, September 30, 2012

Inside Job (2010)

Documentary about the U.S. financial crisis of 2008.

Overall I found it quite informative. Reading other people's comments, however, I get the impression that some facts were somewhat misrepresented. Anyway, there are things in it that just rubbed me the wrong way. For example, someone saying that high executives see prostitutes and then go back to their wives... ok, what has this got to do with anything? This kind of remark should not have been included, simple as that. And about the ending, it is just that same old same old: we got to do our best, fight for a better world, blah blah blah. Well, that's what I (and everyone else, I suspect) always do, so please spare me -- unless one would be a little more specific about it. I do not have a deep enough knowledge of the situation which would allow me to criticize this movie with confidence, and if I had I would not be among its target audience to begin with. Here is a very general reflection, though. The idea that greed for money is evil should be balanced with the idea that there are non-monetary types of greed as well. A populist government which is not sure he can afford his populist actions is greedy for popularity, and is just as guilty (perhaps more) in case of a catastrophe. And let's not forget that there are other capital sins. Like, for instance, sloth.

Rating: 52

No comments: