Thursday, March 31, 2011

Funny Girl (1968)

Musical biography of someone named Fanny Brice. After watching the movie, I know almost as little of that real-life person as I did before watching the movie. Consulting the wikipedia article as I write this, I see that the film has nothing to do with reality, so I feel better.

The first half-hour or so of this is kind of cute, and definitely watchable. After that, the film proceeds to be a mediocre romantic story with very little distinctive features. The central dramatic point seems to be that Fanny feels ugly. A theme such as this is a very tough nut to crack, meaning that it would take a lot of talent and honesty to turn it into a good movie. This is not the case here and the musical numbers are mediocre too, with a few exceptions.

Rating: 31

No comments: