Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Death Proof (2007)

A deranged stunt man uses his car to kill young women.

I suspect that down deep it's a self-referential film that promotes second unit to first, using women as a metaphor for the transition from victim to empowered. This reminds one of what Guillermo Cabrera Infante, the renowned novelist who also wrote the screenplay of Vanishing Point, said in an interview:

What the spectator sees on the screen is the mirror image of my screenplay. Vanishing Point is my script as seen on the white mirror of the screen, in De Luxe color, at an aspect ratio of 1:85, running at twenty-four frames per second, in stereo sound—much more than I ever wrote or could write. That’s a movie. I just wrote the screenplay. Thanks to John Alonzo, a cinematographer of genius, my screenplay is now a piece of Americana, a cult film, and a very successful movie. I wrote a motion picture about a man with a problem in a car. My director made a movie about a man in a car with problems. Cars in the film are actors and the movie may be taken as a paean to cars or to death by car. By the way, I don’t drive.

According to Gore Vidal, another renowned novelist who wrote movies, the decline of the importance of screenwriters which happened in the late sixties coincides with the rise to eminence of cars and car chases, replacing human beings, on the big screen.

I guess one can't blame postmodernists for growing up in exciting times.
Rating: 40

No comments: