Thursday, October 29, 2009

Zim and Co. (2005)

Three teenage boys in France, each with a different ethnicity, are friends to one another and face the typical problems of that age. The center of the film is the white character who faces a prison sentence in case he doesn't get a job; he finds one which requires a car, so his next problem is to get one.

A social comedy with a light approach, an all-round feel-good movie.

Request for help: I did not understand a couple of lines of dialog, so if anyone with a knowledge of French could enlighten me, I would appreciate it. In the particular context of this film, what is the meaning of the word 'cabile'? I do not remember the exact context in which it appears, but one of the occurrences is a line like this, roughly translated: (girl of Arab ethnicity talking to white boy) "I will date you as long as you are not cabile." A Web search seems to indicate that 'cabile' stands for "Algerian". Is the girl of a different ethnicity? I thought she might be Tunisian as she worked in a Tunisian restaurant. Would she rather go out with a non-Arab?

Rating: 51

No comments: