Wednesday, April 01, 2009

El pasado (2007)

English title: The Past.

Based on the novel by Alan Pauls (2003).

A young man breaks up with his wife after a 12 year relationship. He meets several other women but his ex-wife keeps showing up in his life; she seems to be taking the separation a lot harder than he is.

I found this film consistently interesting on a superficial level, yet unsatisfying due to a certain sense of triviality pervading the plot, which I suspect may stem from the transposition from the literary medium to the cinematic one; I haven't read the book though, and thus cannot be sure of that. The ending is a bit mysterious as far as my understanding can reach; it doesn't seem very serious, but then again I may be mistaken or just too short-sighted on these matters.

Rating: 51

No comments: