Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Southland Tales (2006)

Some escatological events ravage the Earth. Several people looking chic or sexy are busy either keeping the system or taking it down.

If you really want to know what this film is about -- don't! just forget about it! no? okay, don't blame me later -- I must confess I had a little trouble myself -- even after watching it -- finding words to describe it. But almost every movie has a scene or a line which somehow holds the key to its meaning (or lack thereof) and this one is no exception. Suffice it to say that it mentions a fart which would blow up the world. There you have it, the purpose of it all: a two hour twenty minute long cinematical equivalent of a fart joke. It should be viewed as many times as it would take for one to convince oneself that one is a complete moron for viewing it. For me one viewing was enough.

Rating: 15

4 comments:

Czaro Woj said...

I'm proud that I never watched this...

:P

Marcelo Gilli said...

It proves you are smarter than I. Anyway this year this sorry state of affairs -- i.e. I watching crap after stinking crap -- is bound to get to an end, as I decided to have a go at studying literature and days aren't getting longer.

Anyway, thanks for reading this site and your comments (of any kind) are welcome.

Nice site of yours (compactcinema); I will be reading it often.

Czaro Woj said...

I noticed that your ratings are rather low lately. I'm sure quality will pick up. You can always dig into the past.

I've been reading your reviews for a while, but, sadly, haven't seen most of the films you write about. Usually, I don't have anything to say about something I haven't seen, but this one was an exception.

I turn to books when I get fed up with cinema, too... though, like a faithful husband, I always come back.

PS: compact cinema is an old blog, I haven't updated it in a long time, and now deleted it. I have a new one up, inspired by your blog: I like your quick, perceptive reviews.

PPS: I just noticed that I'm posting under "Czaro Woj", which is a pseudonym of a pseudonym.

:)

I'm also Pacze Moj, and you graciously link to my site in your "Links" section.

Marcelo Gilli said...

Well, thanks again, Pacze.