Thursday, June 07, 2007

Le petit Prince a dit (1992)

English title: And the Little Prince Said.

Synopsis (SPOILERS): A separated couple has a 10 year old daughter. An exam reveals that she has brain cancer. The father immediately decides to take her on a trip with just the two of them. After some days they come back to stay with the child's mother. His new girlfriend is staying with them also. Unlike him, she thinks the child should be submitted to treatment right away; her dissention soon leads to animosity and she leaves.

Appraisal: This is a film that deals in extreme sorrow; it's not for everyone, I guess. I watched it out of my methodical filmviewing compulsion, which by definition precludes any discrimination of subject (until further notice). Objectively speaking (if that is remotely feasible) it is not particularly remarkable, although it visibly strives for honesty. One problem perhaps is that, while trying to convey the father's feeling of desperation through his actions, it exaggerates things a little; thus, we witness him frantically take the girl out of the clinic into the rain, and then, in an unbelievable scene, overwork her insanely in a swimming pool, etc etc. I think many people will like this film better than I have; they will probably say that I am unfamiliar with human behavior in such extreme situations. Anyway, by the film's end I was somewhat moved, not knowing if by the story or by the beautiful music. PS: I missed around 30% of the dialogue due to having watched it without subtitles.

Rating: 44

No comments: