Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Die Geschichte vom weinenden Kamel (2003)

English title: The Story of the Weeping Camel.

Synopsis: The film shows, in documentary fashion, the everyday life of a family of nomadic sheep herders in Mongolia. One important "subplot" is that of a newborn camel who is rejected by his mother, and the efforts done by the people in order to make her accept her son.

Appraisal: I wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch this film today, my mind being a little taken by other thoughts. I watched it anyway - not with 100% of my attention, though. I am afraid I must confess that I was a little bored at some instances where the film seemed a bit rarefied and trivial. Nevertheless, the instances where it gains some density [e.g. the rejected camel subplot; the melancholic surrender to television] are well worth watching. At any rate, the sheer authenticity of it is already something to be valued.

Rating: 51

No comments: