Sunday, April 15, 2007

David Copperfield (2000) (TV)

Synopsis (spoilers): David's father dies and his mother remarries. David is sent to a boarding school. His mother dies. David is taken out of school and forced to work. He flees to his aunt's house. He studies law and falls in love with his boss's daughter. He takes writing on the side. His boss dies and David marries his daughter. She gets ill and dies. David goes on a trip through Europe. He is now a famous novelist. He returns to marry his true love.
Appraisal: In general, this miniseries gave me the impression of being extremely well directed by an extremely competent person. I particularly liked the use of deep focus in the composition of some scenes. The actors were mostly good ones; what is most important, the leading actor played the part well. This is an entertaining story that keeps the interest throughout its 3 hour length. I have never read the 1850 novel by Charles Dickens; I may have read, perhaps not integrally, an abridged version when I was a kid, and I also saw the 1935 film.
Rating: 60

No comments: