Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Manderlay (2005)

Synopsis: A woman happens upon a rural community where slavery is still existent, even after its abolition. She decides to overthrow the archaic rules by which it has lived and adapt it to modern, more liberal times.
Appraisal: Perhaps it would be interesting to note that, while in Dogville we had a community nearly destroy an individual, here it is the other way around. This film is on approximately the same high-school-drama level as that other film, and has the same anti-American agenda, which I find most inappropriate, since it is neither an accurate depiction of a historic event, nor a hypothetical situation envisioned as a warning about some impending development. This kind of anti-Americanism just for the sake of it is pointless and mean-spirited, in my opinion; of course, I am in favor of exposés (of any kind), and of deep, well substantiated political analysis; I am also for liberal ideas, and against wars that will bring more harm than good; should I also add that I like sets and elaborated camerawork, or would that be considered reactionary?
Rating: 38

No comments: