Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Illusionist (2006)

Synopsis: A magician competes with a prince for the love of a duchess.
Appraisal: I really feel cheated for having payed to see this movie. It is one of the few films that I feel incapable of reviewing. It's just so bad in so many different aspects that it is just hard to conceptualize my objections. To put it shortly, it doesn't make sense however you look at it. There is nothing in it that would justify the time (and, in my case, the money) spent seeing it. To be completely fair, there was the seed of a good film in one line said by the Prince: "How come he deceives people and is loved and I expose the truth and am hated?" (not an accurate quotation, I'm afraid). Had this line of reasoning been pursued, we would have a serious, non-manicheistic film instead of the preposterous nonsense that was delivered.
Rating: 10

No comments: