Tuesday, April 13, 2021

My Six Convicts (1952)

 A psychologist leads a pioneering study among inmates of a big prison, measuring IQs and assessing skills. He has to use prisoners as assistants, and eventually wins their confidence. An escape plan puts him in danger.

Second-rate prison drama, with surprisingly little exploration of the actual experiment being performed. The plot focuses instead in the relationship between the psychologist and the inmates. The script is very unrealistic in a juvenile way. Certain details intrigued me, but since I don't know the prison rules which were applied in that place and time, I can't make an informed judgement. For example, there is a subplot in which an elaborate plan is put in action to smuggle the wife of an inmate into the prison so they can see each other. I wonder why she couldn't have just visited him. Weren't visits allowed? Anyway it's a poor film, both as entertainment and as a depiction of prisons.

Rating: 31

No comments: