Saturday, August 18, 2018

Guys and Dolls (1955)

Second viewing; previously viewed between 1983 and 1986.

Based on Damon Runyon's short stories The Idyll of Miss Sarah Brown, Blood Pressure, Pick the Winner, and perhaps others, first published in 1932.

When one watches too many films from a certain era, he is bound to start noticing how some plotlines get repeated over and over, to the point that one asks oneself: is it lack of inspiration or sheer obsession? The premise of betting in association with seduction is one of those; recently I reviewed a movie with a similar plotline, and provided a list of forerunner works.

My review of G.I. Blues

Guys and Dolls is a pleasant enough spectacle. It does get a bit on the tiresome side, eventually. The depiction of the underworld is funny, and completely devoid of violence. It is hard to believe any outlaw environment would work like that, but I don't know, after all those were other times. The songs are adequate, but, in my opinion, seldom more than that. I am not a great fan of the Broadway musical concept, anyway.

Rating: 60 (down from 69)

No comments: