Thursday, June 16, 2016

Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!) (1980)

Some members of the Peanuts gang go to Europe on a student exchange program. Their destination is France, but they pass through England. Patty and Marcy stay with a farmer boy, and Charlie and Linus (plus the dog and the bird) are to stay in a castle but initially don't find anyone home. It turns out that the castle's owner is a misanthrope. There is a mystery surrounding Charlie's invitation, which is unfolded gradually.

I didn't exactly rave over this movie, although it was adequate for a relaxing time. The actual mystery plot is not devoid of ingenuity, too. My favorite moment was probably the sequence at school when Patty sits next to Charlie. Also, I was somewhat struck by the character of Linus, who seems to combine mature intellectual characteristics and immature emotional ones. Go figure. Anyway, I confess to having had a hard time figuring out what some of the characters said (fortunately I had a Portuguese audio track to help me), because the dubbers seemed to be real kids, and some of them seemed to be real francophones speaking English with an accent. Here is a fine review on the occasion of the DVD release (but I watched it on cable TV).

Rating: 44

No comments: