Monday, February 16, 2015

The Gay Divorcee (1934)

Second viewing; first viewed on December 30, 1995.

A dancer meets a woman in Paris and falls in love with her, without being requited. By a coincidence, they are both on their way to London. Once there he seeks her out, without success. He eventually meets her by chance at a seaside resort, and gets unwittingly mixed up in a complex divorce plot.

What is there to say about this film, except that it has moments of sublime sophistication and lightness? But you know me, I am never fully satisfied, so I'll say that it is not 100% evenly good, and its initial hour or so is better than the remainder of the movie. And I might also suggest that, apart from the obvious visual enchantments, this film profits from text that is superior to other Astaire vehicles that I have watched.

As usual, I am concerned about my own insufficiency as a reviewer and suggest that you check out the various External Reviews at IMDB. I didn't read them all, but those I read were OK (Danny Reid's may be a good one for those who want greater detail and links to other reviews).

Rating: 72 (up from 66)

No comments: