Sunday, July 06, 2014

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)

Second viewing; I first saw it in 1982 or 1983.

A weekend in the country with three couples, at the house of one of them, in the first or second decade of the 20th century. Andrew, the host, is a financial advisor with a passion for mechanical inventions, who is going through a crisis in his marriage to Adrian. One of the guests is her cousin Leopold, an elderly professor about to get married to a much younger woman, Andrew's former flame Ariel. Andrew's best friend Maxwell, a doctor and a womanizer, comes with Dulcy, a nurse of liberal mores.

Evenly good comedy, which however failed to impress me as much as it did on my first viewing. There isn't anything in particular which I feel deserves to be criticized, I just feel its achievements are of a more modest dimension than I earlier thought. One thing that I might criticize is the excess of dialogue, although I am not sure this is the film's main problem. Also problematic could be the quality of some of the dialogue, which is wit for wit's sake. Maybe the plot's somewhat derivative nature is also a down side. Anyway, while I am trying hard to justify my somewhat diminished enthusiasm, I do not want to obscure the fact that I like the film, which is consistently intelligent and funny, and well acted too. The theme is the finding of love, and the complementary roles of opportunity and individual receptiveness to it, or something like that.

Rating: 68 (down from 73)

No comments: